Monday, February 9, 2009

Superbowl Ads (Long Past Due)

So I realize that the Superbowl was a full week ago, which is the single biggest ad day of the year, and I had yet to comment on it. Besides the ads, it was a GREAT game, besides the fact that the Cards lost. I really thought they had it at the end with that 7o yard Fitz sprint.

Back to what really matters, the ads. So looking at the entire game, there were some truly great and truly horrible commercials. Cash for Gold? No place in the Superbowl. Alec Baldwin and Hulu made an impressive entry into the ad world, giving the online TV site a personality and a face.



Another commercial that did creative a lot of buzz, but didn't really deliver with the actual ad was the Miller High Life commercial. About two or so weeks before the game, a commercial for High Life came out with a warehouse worker talking about how all he would need is 1 second during the game to create a great commercial. But after watching the entire game, I did not see the ad until the very end of the fourth quarter. But at the same time, I was thinking about it during the entire game and I just happened to be drinking High Life during the game.



I loved the Bud Light and the Doritos commercials. The Drinkability commercial where the board meeting is going on and the worker suggest not buying But Light and is subsequently thrown out of the window had me in tears I was laughing so hard. And the Doritos commercial where the magic crystal ball is being thrown around did the same thing to me. I think these commercials were the funniest, but the Doritos did not work to create or improve on the image of the brand. Drinkability is an amazing positioning campaign.





I hope Hulu creates more spots on their current positioning. I loved it. Superbowl 43, mild success. I hope I get the chance one day to creative a Superbowl spot.

No comments: