Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Work and the Mi'kmaq Nation

There are a bunch of things I love about Ithaca, but this is one of its huge faults. Ithaca is not a school for creatives in advertising. It's fantastic for the business of advertising, PR and marketing, but it does not have the classes or facilities designed to help students who want to go into creative. So I have sort of taken it upon myself to take as many design classes as I can, even repeating a few where I get to create campaigns, as well as designing my own senior workshop for creative portfolio development. So I have worked on a few campaigns for brands thus far, including: Fresca, the NFL, Risk, Mandles (fake candle for men), Atlantis Diving (fake custom scuba shop), and a few random pieces here and there. I'm going to put up one piece from my NFL campaign and my Atlantis Diving campaign here and any comments are welcome. I'm not going to explain them because that kind of defeats the point. An ad should be able to be understood by just looking at it. If it needs to be explained, its not good.

NFL


Atlantis Diving


Also, on a random note, I talked to my grandmother because I have been curious about my heritage. I'm taking a native nations class that deals a lot with various nations, predominantly the Haudenosaunee, or the Iroquois Nation. But my grandmother informed me I do have a little native heritage on her side from Maine and Nova Scotia. I talked with my professor and learned that that is 95% certain the Mi'kmaq. I think that is so cool, but I just want to learn more about it and I don't know how to go about it. I can look up their history all I want and it's easy, but finding out what they are up to now I think would be extremely interesting.

1 comment:

Bosilawhat said...

Kudos on your plan to give yourself assignments, Garin. It seems like you have a good grasp of what's important if you're going to get into the ad biz.

On the two ads you've posted, I'd say the scuba one has more of a concept. The writing is so-so, but it's an interesting angle. I'd encourage you to streamline the copy a little. And make sure you're giving attention to details--the little photoshopped edges around Brady, the spacing typo in the body copy of the scuba ad. These say something about your attention to craft.

Also, I'd encourage you to think in campaigns. What would ads #2 and #3 be? Keep going, though. You've got a good start.