Thursday, October 23, 2008

WPP Hiring Freeze

So last week the holding group WPP ordered a hiring freeze for all of their agencies including JWT, Ogilvy, Y&R and Grey. These are four of the largest global ad agencies and this kind of frightens me a little. I understand that with the current crisis that all costs need to be kept at a minimum, but I believe that if you are not cycling in new staff than an agency will get stale. And where does this leave the new era of ad workers (i.e. me)? I know that smaller agencies will continue to hire and that if I search hard enough I will find something, but this is just not a good feeling with the real world so close.

1 comment:

Scott Bulger Photography said...

These hiring freezes can take a lot of different forms. Sometimes, it just means no further expansion of the staff and they can replace people that leave, and sometimes, it means no new bodies at all and they use it as a way of thinning a bloated staff. Regardless, it won't last forever. Someone will always be hiring talented people.