Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Philips Universal Remote
















I recently bought a universal remote because I had three things running and no remote to control them. This got really annoying when trying to access alternate features of DVDs. So last night I was fed up, and at 11pm or so I drove out to my local Wal-Mart. I of course bought the cheapest one, at a whopping $7.95. It was glow in the dark, it controlled TV, games and DVD and that was all that I needed. So I brought it home, immediate realizing that I didn't have AAA batteries. But after begging certain friends I got the batteries and started trying to program the remote. Now to program the remote to the TV was easy, I didn't actually have to do anything. But getting the remote to work with the DVD player was beyond difficult.

I tried all of the regular codes that are supposed to work for a certain brand, but my TV, being approximately 75 thousand years old, didn't work with any of them. So they then suggested (they being the manual that came with the remote) that I should click setup, and then on Ch+ about 300 times, because that's how many codes there were.

So when I finally stumbled on the right channel, I realized why the punching in of the codes didn't work. When I hit 6, my TV thinks I'm hitting play. With 2, it thinks 1/2 speed playing. Every button minus 3 on my remote actually did something else. Some buttons did absolutely nothing, but some did complete opposite things.

So I am back at square one, where I can hit "6" to play, but I still can't click left, down, right, or up. I don't know if talking to someone at Wal-Mart would do anything, but this remote is one of the most confused piece of electronics I've ever dealt with.

1 comment:

Scott Bulger Photography said...

Just give your friends back their batteries, drive back to Waly World with your remote, and hand it back to them to get your $7.95 back. Your other option is to write a letter to Phillips and home for some sort of beneficial response.

75,000 years old? Wow. It must have belonged to one of the Flintstones.